Tuesday, January 31, 2006


As you can see from the red tip, it's only 77 degrees in my office at the moment. Usually the day starts out at 82 and works its way up to 88 by 4:00 PM. But today is a little cooler, which is a good thing. Today my boss decided to implement yet another policy. This one is concerning stolen laptops.

Here it is�

�Computers that we believe could be stolen will be returned to the user, we can not work on these computers unless the student can show proof of purchase. I will personally handle these issues. After you check the computer and you believe it could be stolen, write down all pertinent information, and give me both your information and the computer as soon as possible.�

I could care less if the laptop that was stolen was just some home computer, but this has not been the case. The first laptop I cam across that was stolen turned out to be one of the ones stolen from a local school. But nothing was done. The latest one, which I found, seems to have been stolen from a company called Veridyne. I figured this out because it wanted to log into a domain called �VERIDYNE�. Not to mention that she didn�t give us her log in and password, and she just gave a description of �slow internet�. Are these students so stupid as to think we will just wipe the drive, re-install the OS with our copy, put our copy of Office 2003 on it, and then just give it back to them like nothing happened?

In the end, I guess my boss just doesn�t completely understand the term Criminal Negligence. If there was any sensitive data on the laptop and it passed through our hands without notifying the authorities (and knowing it was probably stolen), we could end up having criminal charges filed against us. I don�t like this at all. I�m afraid I may have to go to his boss with this one.

z
 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home